Engineering courses have been and will be one of the most popular Science courses in India in the coming years. The most common doubt among all engineering aspirants is about the course.
The students are always uncertain about the engineering courses/branch/ specializations/ discipline. The interest and aptitude for the engineering stream is something which really matters.
Selecting an engineering discipline can be very difficult. The aspirants often get confused whether to choose a stream (because availability of several Science courses , after 12th) of their choice or a reputed institute.
To answer these questions, we have listed out various engineering branches based on preceding trends and the preferences of other engineering aspirants.
Computer Science Engineering (CSE)
Nowadays we are stepping up towards the computerization and upgrading in our social as well as professional life. CSE is one of the most desired disciplines of engineering courses. It involves the design and understanding of computational processes and programming languages.
- Subjects: In CSE, apart from the elementary engineering subjects, the core subjects of the branch are Data Structure, Database Management System, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Networks, Operating Systems, Object Oriented Programming, System Programming, Data Communications, etc.
- Career Opportunities: There job opportunities in the field of CSE are huge. After the completion of degree in CSE, one can work in the field of database management, embedded systems, IT, telecommunication, multimedia, computer hardware & software implementation, computer hardware & software maintenance, gaming, web designing and other related industries. It is a vast field to work in private as well as public sector.
- Areas of Specialization: CSE has the expanded field when it comes to specialization. The subjects for specialization are Computer architecture and organization, Database systems, Electronics, Operating systems, Networking, Foundations of Computer Systems, Java Programming and Website Design, E-Commerce & ERP and Multimedia Applications. For Post Graduation, students also prefer Masters in Business Administration (MBA) for better job opportunities.
- Companies: Here are several companies that offer CSE engineers’ jobs, and the few major names are Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, IBM, Facebook, Oracle, Cisco, Infosys, TCS, and Wipro.
Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE)
This branch incorporates the study of wide variety of technology. These engineers are responsible for designing, developing, testing as well supervising the production of electrical and electronic equipment and machinery. Broadcast and telecommunication systems, electric motors, controls of machinery, lights and wiring in building complexes, vehicles, aircraft, radar and navigation systems, power generation, control and transmission devices which are used by electric utilities are all examples of equipment built by these engineers.
- Subjects: In addition to the basic engineering subjects, the core subjects include Power Engineering, Control Systems, Digital Electronics, Electrical Measurement & Instrumentation, Electromagnetic Field Theory, etc.
- Career Opportunities: This branch has lot of opportunities in the government sector. One can work in steel factories, railways, at construction sites or handle automated systems in which electricity supply and distribution plays an important role.
- Areas of Specialization: The EEE graduates can opt for Post Graduation in subjects like Communications, Computer Hardware, Computer Software, Control Systems, Electromagnetic, Electronic Design, Optics, Power Systems, Remote Sensing and Space Systems, Semiconductor Devices, Signal and Image Processing, etc.
- Companies: Some of the good companies which provide placement in Electrical or Electronics field are Wipro Lighting Corporate, Schnider Electric, Bajaj Electricals Limited, Siemens, Alstom Corporate, Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited., Crompton Greaves, Havells India Limited, ABB India Limited, EMCO limited, HBM power system, etc.
Mechanical Engineering (ME)
This discipline applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science for the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering disciplines.
The mechanical engineering field requires an understanding of core areas including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis and electricity.
- Subjects: Apart from the basic engineering subjects, the core subjects are Thermodynamics, Material Technology, Manufacturing Design, Fluid Mechanics, Heat & Mass Transfer, Control Engineering, Production & Industrial Management, Computer Aided Design, Machine Design, etc.
- Career Opportunities: The career opportunities for ME graduates are huge. These engineers can work with Industrial Systems in manufacturing while others may be in product design for an automaker or even a toy company. Mechanical Engineers can work in thermal power industry, gas turbines industry, air conditioning and refrigeration industry, oil and gas exploration and refining industries, agricultural sector, educational sector, aviation companies and many others. Students can also go for a teaching career after mechanical engineering.
- Areas of Specialization: The students can opt for M.Tech/M.E in areas of specializations like Production Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Thermal Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Machine Design and Fluid Mechanics.
- Companies: Some of the top government companies recruiting mechanical engineers are ISRO, BHEL, NTPC, BARC, DRDO, SAIL, etc. The top private companies are L&T, Brahmos Aerospace, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors/Tata Group, Mahindra Group, General Motors India, Bajaj Automobiles, Godrej & Boyce, Mercedes Benz India, John Deere, Thermax, etc.